Media: Naturecity festival 2017
NatureCity Festival is a week-long festival held May 23 - 28, 2017, featuring 50+ nature-inspired events to help residents explore and experience nature in our city. Events are hosted in collaboration with countless organizations, businesses and individuals and include hikes, trail rides, dynamic speakers, workshops, art, music, family fun and more!
We believe that urban nature can lie at the heart of forging a renewed relationship with nature and cultivating a conservation ethic in current and future generations. NatureCity Festival shows off the wild side of the Saskatoon: the magnificent river valley, parks, conservation areas, gardens and urban forests, encouraging children and adults to explore, experience and learn about the nature at home in our city. At the same time, the festival highlights the work of organizations and individuals, who are helping connect city residents with the natural world.
We invite urban residents, students, families, urban planners, artists, educators, community leaders, businesses and organizations to explore the vital role of nature in our prairie city and life at NatureCity Festival 2017.
Key events include:
- NatureCity Festival Keynote 'Our Blue Future: An Evening with Maude Barlow', Thursday May 25th, 7PM at the Roxy Theatre PHOTO of Maude HERE
- A week-long education program, offered to school groups as field trips (buses subsidized) More information here
- Over 50 festival events on our festival calendar here (full calendar released May 1st)
- Taste our NatureCity by visiting one of 8 different local Saskatoon restauruants, who will be featuring a nature-inspired dish all festival week, May 23 - 28th. Participating restaurants include Nosh Eatery and Tap, Una Pizza + Wine, Little Bird Patisserie and Cafe, Citizen Baker and Cafe, d'Lish by Tish Cafe, Amigos Cantina, 9 Mile Legacy Brewery, Drift Cafe and Vista Lounge.
- Try our NatureCity Ale collaboration with 9 Mile Legacy Brewery. NatureCity Ale will be available during festival week at restaurants around Saskatoon, as well on tap at 9 Mile Legacy Brewery.
- The inaugural NatureCity Awards, sponsored by EcoFriendly Sask, will be awarded this year during NatureCity Festival. This award will be presented to 1 individual, 1 business/organization and 1 initiative who have demonstrated committment and success connecting local residents to nature in and around Saskatoon.
- Week-long annual festival to explore and experience urban nature in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Dates for 2017: May 23rd - 28th
- Over 50 events from community partners, including businesses, individuals and organizations (Check out our full list of partners here)
- 2017 Festival theme is: 'We Are Water: Explore Our Prairie Waterscape'.
- NatureCity Festival 2017 is a deep dive into Saskatoon’s prairie waterscape - and the rich ecosystem and biodiversity it supports. There are several events throughout the week with this prominent festival theme.
Some of our greatest assets are found in our local urban nature: the South Saskatchewan river, Meewasin Valley, northeast swale, Chappell Marsh, local streams and wetlands. We know that deepening our relationship with nature in the city has tremendous personal benefits, and these benefits ripple out to our community. Direct and meaningful experience with nature is transformative for our physical and mental health, the development of youth, strengthening our personal relationships, building safer communities, developing our economy, and nurturing environmental attitudes and values.
Nature in our city provides the space and opportunity for families to bond, children to play and communities to meet, acting as focal points for community life and pride. NatureCity Festival seeks to make nature accessible to all Saskatoon residents by introducing the beauty, wonder and natural surprises of urban nature!
Who are we?
The NatureCity Festival is organized by Wild About Saskatoon, an organization committed to connecting residents to urban nature, and a steering committee representing many community based organizations and partners - including Meewasin, Saskatoon Food Bank and Learning Centre, University of Saskatchewan, Nature Saskatchewan, Permaculture Saskatchewan and Saskatoon residents.
Please find our NatureCity Logo HERE
Please find our "Stay Wild Saskatoon" graphic HERE
Please find a Gallery of Photos below